7 Simple Exercises to Lose Weight
Monsoon time can make you very lazy. You don’t want to get out of bed because you’re all cozied up in your blanket and while you do have to lug yourself to work, it’s easy to simply, just miss the work out you planned to go for.
TO A FITTER YOU THIS SEASON!
Monsoon time can make you very lazy. You don’t want to get out of bed because you’re all cozied up in your blanket and while you do have to lug yourself to work, it’s easy to simply, just miss the work out you planned to go for. It’s important to keep the body warm and active because your body can get quite tense and stiff in the monsoons. We’ve devised an in-house workout routine so you can remain fit without leaving your house! Curb the laziness, avoid the rains, potholes, and traffic and read on and try out these exercises for a fitter you this monsoon in the very comfort of your home!
It is very important to do stretching exercises before getting into the rigorous exercise to warm the body up, release muscle tension, and increase the blood flow around the body. Stretching also helps elongate the muscles and make them leaner. Stretching before any work out also prevents stiffness, cramps, and tense muscles during/post workouts too.
● Stretch 1: Head & Neck – 2 Sets Each
Neck Tilts: In a standing position, tilt the neck slowly from left to right. Do the same from right to left, then the same from front to back. (x10 each)
Neck Rotation: In a standing position, rotate the neck from left to right looking down on the floor, touching your chin to your chest, moving it towards the left, then looking up to the ceiling, moving it to the right to look straight slowly. Do the same from right to left. (x10 each)
● Stretch 2: Shoulders and Arms – 2 Sets Each
Shoulder Rotation: In a standing or sitting position, touch your shoulder and rotate the shoulder from front to back and do the same from back to front slowly. You will also feel a stretch on the back.
Horizontal Arm Stretch: In a standing or sitting position, take the right arm and stretch it toward the left and use the left arm to hold the right arm and push it towards the body. Do the same with the left arm. (x10 each)
Straight Arm Stretch: In a standing or sitting position, stretch your right arm right in front of you in a stop sign position, your palms vertical. Use the left arm to pull onto the fingers of your right hand and pull for a few seconds. You will feel a stretch throughout the arm. Do the same with your left hand. Then put your palms downwards and do the same pulling method on either palm. (x2 each)
● Stretch 3: Torso and Back – 2 Sets Each
Waist Rotation: In a standing position, hold on to your waist and rotate it in a circular motion from left to right and then left to right. (x10 each)
Torso Twist: In a standing position, hold your waist and twist your torso and look back on your left side and stay there for a few seconds. Do the same on your right side. You will feel a stretch on your back and oblique. (x5 each)
● Stretch 4: Legs
Knee Hug: In a standing position, take the left knee and pull it towards the body and put your arms around it and hug it for a few seconds. Do the same for the right knee. (x2 each)
Quad Stretch: In a standing position, bend the left knee and kick it towards the butt and hold onto it for a few seconds. Do the same on the right. You should feel a pull on your quads. (x2 each)
Hamstring/Calf Stretch: In a standing position, place your left foot forward and flex the ankle so that your toes are pulling upward to the body. Bend the supporting knee and stay there for a few seconds. Do the same for the right leg. (x2 each)
Leg Stretch: In a standing position, widen your legs and bend the left knee. Shift the bodyweight towards the left too and feel the stretch on the right leg and hold for a few seconds. Do the same on the right side. Then, put your left leg forward and right leg back. Bend the left knee and extend out the right and feel the stretch on your right leg and hold for a few seconds. Do the same for the right leg. (x2 each)
● Stretch 5: Full body
Body Roll Down : In a standing position, bend your body and touch your toes and hold for a few seconds. Then bend your knees and sit while touching/holding onto your toes and hold for a few seconds. Come back up while still maintain the toe touching position and slowly roll back up straightening you back, your neck, and then your head and roll your shoulders behind. Breathe in and out and do the same a couple of times more. (x3)
Keep in mind you can do any of these stretching exercises even in your workplace or whenever your body is feeling stiff. It only takes a few seconds and feels incredibly relaxing and helps loosen up the body.
EXERCISE 1: SPOT JOGGING (CARDIO)
Jogging on spot helps warm the body and burns the calories. All you have to do is run on the same spot. Make sure you are standing up straight, hands next to your chest like you’re running, and shoulders pushed back. You can go as fast or slow, as you want to depend on you. The faster you jog, the more calories you will burn. Spot jog for 1.5-2 minutes depending on your intensity to complete the set.
EXERCISE 2: TRICEPS DIPS (ARMS)
Triceps dips are great for toning arms. For this exercise, you will need a sturdy chair.
● Sit on the edge of a chair, gripping its edges with your hands by your sides.
● Then, sit off the chair, lower your body, and bend your arms so that you’re sitting mid-air while your legs are extended slightly and bent. Your arms should be bent at a 90-degree angle
● Straighten your arms and push yourself back up, but don’t sit back on the chair. Your legs will still be slightly bent and extended.
Repeat the process 15 times to complete the set.
EXERCISE 3: STAR JUMPS (CARDIO)
Star jumps are great to keep your heart rate up. When your heart rate increases, you burn more calories.
● Begin in a relaxed stance with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold your arms close to the body.
● To initiate the move, squat down halfway and jump back up as high as possible. Extend your arms and legs as far as you can and you’ll see that you look like a star.
● As you land, bring your limbs back in, in a bent position, and retract all your limbs back together.
Repeat this 20 times to complete the set.
EXERCISE 4: WALKING LUNGES (LEGS)
Walking lunges are extremely effective for toning legs and even for the pelvic region.
● Start by standing in an upright position
● Take a big step forward and bend the front knee and stretch the back leg so you feel a stretch. You will also feel a slight burn on the leg that is bent too.
● Make sure your back is straight and your bent knee does not pass your toes.
● Without taking a step back, repeat the lunge by taking a step forward.
Repeat this 20 times (10 lunges in each leg) by lunging forward to complete the set.
EXERCISE 5: BURPEES (CARDIO/FULL BODY)
Burpees are great for a full-body workout. This exercise also increases your heart rate and helps burn calories.
● First, roll down by bending your knees and touching your palms to the floor.
● Jump and kick your legs back as if you are in a push-up position.
● Do a push-up and if you can’t, simply lower your body to the ground slowly and come back up to the push-up position.
● Jump back to the squat position while your hands are still on the floor.
● Jump up and sit up in a squat position again.
Repeat this 10-15 times depending on your intensity to complete the set.
EXERCISE 6: WALL SIT (GLUTES/LEGS/CORE)
Wall sits are an isometric exercise. They help strengthen both, your upper body and lower body by focusing on the core, butt, and legs.
● Make sure your back is flat against the wall.
● Set your feet about shoulder-width apart and extend about 1 ft. out from the wall, so you’re standing angled.
● Slide your back down the wall, bending your legs until they’re in a 90-degree angle or as close as you can get. It’s like sitting on an invisible chair.
● Hold the position while contracting your abs.
Remain in this position for about 30 seconds to 1 minute depending on your intensity to complete the set.
EXERCISE 7: PLANK (ABS/CORE/OBLIQUE)
Planks are the best exercise for core conditioning and help better the body’s posture and improve body balance.
● Get into the push-up position.
● Bend your elbows in a 90-degree position and move your weight to your forearms.
● Your elbows should be directly under your shoulder and your body should form a straight line from your head to your feet. Maintain and activate your core by contracting it and make sure your weight doesn’t come on your back.
● To exercise your sides/oblique muscles, twist your body from side to side while being in the plank position. Hold your body in this position for 30 seconds to 1 minute depending on your intensity to work out the core and abs and twist your body about 30 times (15 times for each side/oblique muscle) to do the side plank exercise to complete the set.
It is recommended to do at least 2 sets of each exercise (2-7) to feel the maximum effect of the workout.
Cooldown stretches are extremely necessary after a workout. Stretching after an intense workout helps regulate the heart rate and breathing to come back to its normal level gradually, prevents fainting and dizziness, and also helps with relaxing the muscles and averting it from becoming stiff. You can do the same stretches that you did during the warm-up for the cool-down stretches. Just remember to do them slowly and extend the stretch so your muscles don’t tense up.
Now you can remain fit and healthy even if it’s pouring outside! You don’t have to worry about the time or travel because you can do this anytime you feel like and at home! You can also try yoga, dancing, and Zumba if you don’t enjoy functional or floor training. It is very important to sip on water to keep yourself hydrated during your workouts. You can also do variations of the exercises given above once you get the hang of it. Be sure to do these exercises at least 2 to 3 times a week. Don’t give up and stay motivated this monsoon!