Benefits of Lutein You Must Know29 Jun 2019
Lutein is popularly known as the “eye vitamin” as it forms one of the core ingredients of the 2 major carotenoids found in the human eye (macula and retina).
Lutein is popularly known as the “eye vitamin” as it forms one of the core ingredients of the 2 major carotenoid vitamins found in the human eye (macula and retina). It is an antioxidant by composition and is believed to act as a protective barrier and as a light filter against harmful high-intensity sunlight as well as blue-light from artificial sources.1 In this era of digitalization, where technology and especially smart gadgets have become a part of our daily life, exposure to potentially harmful blue light which is emitted from LED backed devices like mobile phones, tablets, televisions even computers can result in high stress on the retina. The results of this overexposure to blue light can be pretty serious with people as young as 35 years showing age-related macular degeneration. The threat of potential irreversible complete or partial vision loss due to continuous exposure to blue light from devices has become a grave reality of today.2
WHAT ARE THE DIETARY OR NATURAL SOURCES OF LUTEIN?
Though an essential requirement for the eye, the human body does not manufacture Lutein vitamins on its own. Foods like broccoli, spinach, kale, orange pepper, zucchini, grapes, eggs, and green leafy vegetables are generally considered rich sources of Lutein.3
HOW DOES LUTEIN WORK TO PROTECT OUR EYES AGAINST ALL THE POTENTIAL DAMAGE?
Scientific evidence is now available proving the benefits of Lutein in protecting eyes through various mechanisms like:-
1. The macula helps in the blockage of blue light from reaching the underlying structures in the retina. This reduces the risk of light-induced oxidative damage that causes macular degeneration (AMD).1
2. High levels of Lutein in eye tissue are linked with better vision, especially in dim light or where glare is a problem. Diets rich in foods that are good sources of lutein can help ward off age-related diseases.3
3. It also aids in dealing with eye diseases and maintaining eye health. For example, cataract is the clouding of the eye lens, leading to a hazy vision. The major reason for cataract formation is the accumulation of oxidative material in a relatively crystalline eye lens. What is Lutein? It is basically an antioxidant that neutralizes the oxidative stress and protects against retinal damage, thereby playing a role in the protection and also decreasing the risk of cataracts.4
4. Additionally, eye disease study is underway to exploit the role of Lutein for eyes in the prevention of colon cancer, breast cancer, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.3
Setu’s Range of natural formulations for vision includes a Lutein+Zeaxanthin supplement and Eye Care – a vision supplement tailor-made to fight against blue light exposure. Learn more about them at setu.in
Skin: Renew - Glutathione
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
this is the sidecart