Mind, Body & Nutrition15 Sep 2020
The saying, “you are what you eat” is true on more levels than you can imagine. A healthy diet prevents and protects you from multiple diseases and health conditions and boosts your immunity. Plus, it is also linked with better mental health and enhanced cognitive performance. And that’s just the beginning.
Getting The Fundamentals Right
Nutrients are the elements or compounds that are found in good, healthy food and help your body thrive. These include proteins, carbohydrates, good fats, vitamins, minerals, etc. Experts suggest that a balanced diet must include fresh fruits, green vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy, lean protein, etc .
Nutrition And Physical Health
We know that a well-balanced diet and regular exercise can help us maintain a healthy weight. But the benefits of good nutrition go beyond weight loss. For instance, it can help protect and even improve your eyes. Unknowingly, we’ve been harming our eyes by excessively exposing them to digital screens. Therefore, it is necessary to maintain a diet rich in vitamins and nutrients like lutein that can help prevent eye problems.
Apart from maintaining eye health, a nutritious diet can help you look fab. Having a diet rich in antioxidants and minerals will help increase your skin’s collagen production and will give you smoother skin while preventing signs of premature aging.
A healthy nutritious diet packed with iron, vitamin C and B will even make your hair stronger and shinier, and prevent you from losing your beautiful locks.
And most importantly, a well-balanced diet will help you improve your ability to fight off diseases and recover from injury or illness and increase your energy levels.
Nutrition And Mental Health
You may or may not be familiar with the food-mood connection. This connection is what accounts for your mood swings, unhealthy eating patterns, etc. The theory suggests that the type of food you eat has a direct impact on your mental health.
For instance, the GI tract is filled with billions of good bacteria or probiotics that support routine bodily functions and certain neurotransmitters to help you fight against diseases. Hence, it is vital to consume foods that are rich in probiotics.
Additionally, the right nutrition can help increase the levels of certain neurotransmitters such as dopamine, endorphins, oxytocin, and serotonin. This, in turn, will make you feel happier, promote calmness and serenity, improve your concentration, sleep pattern, appetite, etc . A poor diet, on the other hand, will disrupt your sleep pattern, make it hard for you to concentrate on things, make you feel gloomy and low and even cause anger and frustration.
Simple Tips To Eat Healthier
Here are a few simple tips on how you can maintain a healthy diet and ensure good nutrition :
- Eat plenty of fruits
- To get the benefit of the natural fiber in fruits, you should eat fruit whole rather than as juices
- Eat plenty of vegetables
- Eat a variety of colors and types of vegetables every day
- Eat plenty of whole grains
- At least half of the cereals, bread, crackers, and pasta you eat should be made from whole grains
- Choose low fat or fat-free milk
- Choose lean meats
- Try other sources of protein. Try replacing meats and poultry with fish, beans, or tofu
- Don’t forget the good fats – Omega 3 fatty acids, present in nuts and seeds
- Add supplements to fill the gaps for nutrients that may be missing
- Connect with an expert to learn the right kind of nutrition plan tailored to your body
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.