Wondering If You Should Take Collagen? Here’s All You Need To Know24 Mar 2023
Collagen supplements are known to improve skin health and elasticity. This powerful ingredient is trending globally for its miraculous benefits for skincare, although most of us don’t actually know much about collagen supplements or collagen products.
So what is collagen and what are its incredible benefits? Collagen is the most abundant protein found in your tendons, skin, bones, and muscles. It holds your body's cells together and provides your skin with strength, elasticity, and firmness.
What are the Collagen powder benefits?
There are approximately 28 different types of collagen, each with a unique structure. The majority are made up of fibrils, which are long, thin, strong, and flexible structures. Collagen uses are diverse and the benefits are immense.
Some of the benefits of collagen are:
- Improves skin health
- Relieves joint pain
- Prevents bone loss
- Boosts muscle mass
- Improves heart health
- Benefits wound healing
- Helps regeneration of tissues
- Improves hair and nail health
- Collagen benefits for skin include boosting collagen production or preventing the decline of collagen which helps in keeping the skin firm, stronger and younger. There are various ways of boosting collagen. It could be by way of injecting fillers, topical use of collagen products, supplements in the form of collagen powder for skin, or by deriving the required nutrients and antioxidants through food sources. Cosmetic creams and collagen powder for skin help in revitalising the skin. Consuming the best collagen supplements in India will boost the production of collagen.
- Collagen uses include relieving joint pain. As you age, collagen production declines, increasing your risk of degenerative joint issues. The cartilage, which protects joints, is held together by collagen. Studies have shown that the best collagen supplements in India can relieve joint pain and reduce the symptoms of osteoarthritis.
- Preventing bone mass is one of the collagen powder benefits. Your bones are primarily composed of collagen, which provides structure and strength. Bone mass deteriorates with age in the same way that collagen does. This can lead to conditions like osteoporosis, which is defined by low bone density and an increased risk of bone fractures. Studies have shown that collagen supplements either in the form of powder, capsule or liquid help prevent bone breakdown that leads to osteoporosis.
- The best collagen powder in India helps in boosting muscle mass. Collagen is an important component of skeletal muscle because it is the most abundant protein in the body. Collagen supplements help people with sarcopenia or the loss of muscle mass that occurs with age, according to research.
- Studies have shown that collagen uses include improving heart health. Collagen helps to structure your arteries, which are the blood vessels that transport blood from your heart to the rest of your body. Without enough collagen, arteries may lose their flexibility and elasticity. This can lead to atherosclerosis, a disease characterised by artery narrowing. This condition may result in a heart attack or stroke.
- Collagen powder benefits wound healing in many ways. Collagen used in the form of dressing, powder or gel helps in controlling bleeding, reducing inflammation, managing blood vessel health and function, restoring skin elasticity, boosting the strength of scar tissue, providing a platform for new tissue growth, and attracting cells that promote wound healing.
- Regeneration of tissues is one of the important collagen uses. Collagen is occasionally used by doctors to create scaffolds. These offer momentary assistance while the body regenerates new cells throughout the healing process. Used in the form of membranes, plugs, or pads containing collagen can help promote blood clotting, bone regeneration, wound healing, and managing extraction sockets after dental surgery. Once healed, these membranes will resorb, so they do not need to be removed surgically.
- Collagen powder benefits are extended to hair and nail as well. Consuming the best collagen powder in India promotes nail health by preventing brittleness and also helps your nail and hair grow longer.
What is Collagen, really?
Collagen is the most abundant protein that is insoluble, tough, and fibrous. It is important for the strength and structure of the skin, blood vessels, bone, cartilage, tendons, and connective tissues which bind cells to each other.
After understanding the collagen meaning, let’s understand the factors that lead to collagen loss. These are:
- Oxidative stress due to poor lifestyle choices, like smoking, unhealthy diets, etc
- Hormonal changes on account of menopause, pregnancy, and other health conditions
- Exposure to UV rays, causing collagen break down
- Depleted levels of ascorbic acid or Vitamin C
- Certain genetic conditions contribute to collagen loss. Weak bones are a result of Osteogenesis imperfecta.
How do you prevent Collagen loss?
The best way to prevent collagen loss is by tweaking your lifestyle to a certain extent. Here are a few tips:
- Eat a balanced diet that contains all the nutrients required for overall health.
- Minimise oxidative stress by avoiding processed foods and smoking.
- Use sunscreen every time you step out to protect your skin from UV rays.
- Consult your dermatologist before you use the best collagen powder in India.
Do the best Collagen supplements in India have side effects?
Collagen supplements are generally safe to use unless they contain food allergens like fish, shellfish and eggs. You should read the label carefully for these allergens and avoid consuming supplements with any of these ingredients.
Some side effects that have been reported are bloating, nausea, heartburn and a feeling of fullness.
What is collagen and collagen uses explained in this article have made us aware of the other benefits of collagen besides promoting skin health. It also promotes bone, heart, and joint health. You can find a collagen supplement that particularly suits your dietary requirements.
The natural way to boost collagen levels is by including foods rich in protein, vitamin C, vitamin D and Zinc in your diet. You can reduce collagen and bone loss by combining a balanced diet with regular exercise.
Age-related collagen loss is inevitable, but leading a healthy lifestyle can however slow down the process.
What is the recommended dosage of collagen?
2.5 to 15 grams is the recommended dosage of collagen. However, the dose depends on the particular supplement and the purpose for which you’re taking it.
What is collagen made of?
Glycine, proline, and hydroxyproline are the three amino acids that make up the majority of collagen. The triple-helix structure of collagen is made up of these amino acids, which are organised into three strands. Connective tissue, skin, tendons, bones, and cartilage all contain collagen.
Which are the food sources of collagen?
Food sources of collagen include bone broth, eggs, red meats, including pork, beef, lamb, fish, and spirulina.
How do you determine a collagen deficiency?
Wrinkled skin due to loss of elasticity and stiff joints are indicators of collagen deficiency. Low protein-causing ulcers and digestive problems are also indicators as collagen is directly linked to gut health. The main reason for the lack of collagen is the lack of nourishment.
Do collagen supplements induce sleep?
Collagen supplements make some people sleepy. This is because collagen contains a lot of glycines, an amino acid that inhibits neurotransmitter activity, which calms the central nervous system, and promotes relaxation and sleep.
How do you boost the absorption of collagen?
Combining collagen supplements with Vitamin C enhances the absorption of collagen. The bioavailability of collagen is optimised by Vitamin C, which is extremely essential for collagen synthesis.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.